Read more about cookies here. Had he lived longer, By would have witnessed a further erosion of his legacy: Colonel’s Hill, where his house overlooked the canal, was renamed Major’s Hill Park for By’s replacement, Maj. Daniel Bolton. However, they were destroyed by fire in February 1916. He had also founded and laid out a town — Bytown — that would become the nation’s capital. In 1855, Bytown was renamed Ottawa. Afterward, the Ottawa River was a major transport artery. By received his recall on Aug. 11, 1832, unaware that Parliament had asked for his removal, or that a parliamentary committee had already heard testimony on cost overruns. In 1855, Bytown was renamed Ottawa. Sign up to receive daily headline news from Ottawa Citizen, a division of Postmedia Network Inc. By, meanwhile, worked for, and answered to, the Ordnance Department, the engineering and fortifications branch of the British military. Yet instead of retiring with the knighthood he perhaps hoped for, By endured his final days under a cloud of impropriety shaped by unfounded accusations and political expedience. The Smyth Commission’s estimate for the canal’s construction — £169,000 after adjustments for larger locks — was approved by Britain.
1828: The Kempt Commission approves By’s expanded plan for the canal. Today Ottawa is a flourishing city. Reproduction of materials on this website, in whole or in part, is prohibited, except with the written permission from MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM. In 1915, two blocks from the demolished Sappers Bridge, the cornerstone of which was laid by By in 1827, were erected in Major’s Hill Park in his honour, and in 1925 the Rideau Canal was designated a National Historic Site. 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4. Ottawa Police, Paramedic, and Fire Services have reiterated strongly that the elimination of duplicate, similar sounding and physically disconnected streets would remove a significant impediment to timely emergency response. In 1833, By wrote to Gen. Robert Pilkington, Inspector General of Fortifications, asking that he be honoured with “some public distinction as will show that my character as a soldier is without stain, and that I have not lost the confidence or good opinion of my Government.” There is no record of Pilkington acting on By’s request. The Society opened its membership to men and changed its name to the Historical Society of Ottawa in 1956.
In 1866 it became Ottawa University. In 1926, a small granite base for a statue of By was unveiled, but it would be 45 years before any statue appeared. When the Museum reopened in 1985 BYTOWN MUSEUM Treasures highlighted key artefacts and recent acquisitions including some of our most iconic pieces. Records from Lambeth also show a John By being buried there in 1775. According to historian Ken W. Watson, this improved efficiency and costs, but as contracts were typically awarded for an entire project and not on a year-by-year basis, By was instructed by Ordnance to simply plough ahead without concern for the annual parliamentary grants. The Museum of Science and Technology opened in 1967. To obtain written permission to reproduce materials on this website, please contact the.
We encountered an issue signing you up. The following year, a fountain dedicated to By – now located in Confederation Park – was unveiled. A SHORT HISTORY OF OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA. 1799: Graduates from the Royal Military Academy and is transferred to the Royal Engineers. Beside him is Thomas McKay. Most sources, however, including The Canadian Encyclopedia, the Dictionary of Canadian Biography and historian Robert Legget, use the 1779 date. During the 20th century, the government became the major employer in Ottawa. He was never afforded the chance to defend himself to Parliament.
In 1866 it became Ottawa University. By, appointed Commanding Royal Engineer, moves to Canada. Billings Bridge Shopping Centre opened in 1954 and Carlingwood Mall opened in 1956. The early years of the WCHSO consisted of the writing historical papers, regular meetings and “Loan Exhibitions” – displays that brought together artefacts from the private collections of the members and local history enthusiasts.
Construction begins in the fall. “By’s greatest contribution to the Canal,” wrote Mark Andrews in For King and Country, his 1998 biography of By, “and the reason for which he should be highly regarded, comes from his ability to mobilize, direct, and instill a desire to succeed in all those who were involved. Many of the items loaned would become some of the first permanent accessions into the collection, allowing the WCHSO to finally begin to fulfill its original mandate to collect and preserve. Peace Tower was built in 1927 as a tribute to the Canadians who died in the First World War. In early 1836, By suffered a stroke and, three days later, resigned his soul to his maker. The College of Bytown was founded in 1848. The task itself was extremely dangerous.
Efforts to clear his name were futile.
The College of Bytown was founded in 1848.
Records indicate that his parents, George and Mary, baptized a son, John, in Lambeth, England on Aug. 10, 1779. Notably, however, at every hearing held over the six years he was in charge, By had been repeatedly exonerated of any wrongdoing. After years of wandering, the former City Registry Office, located at 70 Nicholas Street, was acquired and renamed the Bytown Historical Museum.
Get started here. Biographer Mark Andrews argued in favour of the date promoted by By’s wife, suggesting that the 1779 baptism record may have been for an earlier sibling, also named John, who died in infancy; it was not uncommon then for parents to re-use given names, and an affidavit prepared in the 1850s by a neighbour of the Bys states that five By children died in infancy.
From 1893 electric streetcars ran in the streets of Ottawa. In 1854 the railway reached Bytown. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments.
In 1971, 135 years after his death, a statue of Lt.-Col. John By, located in Major’s Hill Park, was finally erected, while UNESCO in 2007 designated the canal a world heritage site, noting that it meets the organization’s first criteria: “to represent a masterpiece of human creative genius.”.
Grant Vogl, collections and exhibitions manager at the Bytown Museum, agrees, suggesting that Esther, By’s second wife, simply didn’t know his exact age. His wife resigned hers two years after that, while their daughters followed in 1842 and 1848. Meanwhile the Mint opened in Ottawa in 1908. As daunting as these challengers were, By’s troubles began even before his 1826 appointment as superintending engineer for the canal. Under his direction and guidance, the officers, contractors and workers overcame almost insurmountable obstacles in a wilderness environment and managed to complete the work in five short construction seasons.”. Additionally, many workers died in blasting explosions or were crushed by falling rocks or trees.